“Operation Payback” attacks Mastercards and Censorship

From Infoshop News:  http://news.infoshop.org/article.php?story=20101208174118826

Wednesday, December 08 2010 @ 05:41 PM UTC

Contributed by: Anonymous

MasterCard’s Canadian website remains unavailable after WikiLeaks supporters struck back Wednesday at perceived enemies of the site’s founder Julian Assange.

MasterCard website down in WikiLeaks attack
Company says credit card system is secure and operating:

Manifesto video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZNDV4…r_embedded

MasterCard’s Canadian website remains unavailable after WikiLeaks supporters struck back Wednesday at perceived enemies of the site’s founder Julian Assange.

They also attacked the websites of Swedish prosecutors, the Swedish lawyer whose clients have accused Assange of sexual crimes, and the Swiss authority that froze Assange’s bank account.

MasterCard Canada spokesman Jim Issokson told CBC News the denial of service attack on the company’s website has not affected any credit card transactions.

“MasterCard’s systems have not been compromised,” he said, “At this time the issue appears to be the result of a concentrated effort to flood our corporate website with traffic and slow access.”

MasterCard and Visa severed their relationships with WikiLeaks Tuesday, under pressure from the U.S. government. Visa’s Canadian website is still operating.

MasterCard is working to get things back to normal.

“We are working to restore normal service levels,” Issokson said, “[however] there is no impact on our cardholders’ ability to use their cards for secure transactions globally.”

The online campaign took the form of attacks in which computers across the internet are harnessed — sometimes surreptitiously — to jam target sites with mountains of requests for data, knocking them out of commission.

Early Wednesday, a group taking responsibility for the online attacks, Operation Payback, led media to a YouTube video in which it states its objectives.

Wave of support

The online attacks are part of a wave of online support for WikiLeaks that is sweeping the internet. Twitter was choked with messages of solidarity Wednesday, while the site’s Facebook page hit one million fans.

A group, which has previously focused on the Church of Scientology and the music industry, has promised to come to Assange’s aid by knocking offline websites seen as hostile to WikiLeaks.

‘We want transparency and we counter censorship .…’
— Message from website activists

“While we don’t have much of an affiliation with WikiLeaks, we fight for the same reasons,” the group said in a statement on its website. “We want transparency and we counter censorship .…This is why we intend to utilize our resources to raise awareness, attack those against, and support those who are helping lead our world to freedom and democracy.”

It was not immediately clear which attacks the group was responsible for, although activists on Twitter and other forums cheered the news of each one in turn.

Claes Borgstrom, lawyer for the two women who claim to have been sexually assaulted by WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange in Sweden in August, talks to media at his office in Stockholm Wednesday. (Anders Wiklund/Associated Press)The website for Swedish lawyer Claes Borgstrom, who represents the two women at the centre of Assange’s sex crimes case, was unreachable Wednesday.

The Swiss postal system’s financial arm, Postfinance, which shut down Assange’s new bank account on Monday, was also having trouble. Spokesman Alex Josty said the website buckled under a barrage of traffic Tuesday, but the onslaught seems to have eased off.

“Yesterday it was very, very difficult, then things improved overnight,” he told The Associated Press. “But it’s still not entirely back to normal.”

While one internet company after another has cut its ties to the websites amid intense U.S. government pressure — Amazon.com, PayPal, EveryDNS — the French government’s effort to stop a company there from hosting WikiLeaks has failed — at least for now.

The web services company OVH, which is among those hosting the current site — http://wikileaks.ch — sought a ruling by two courts about the legality of hosting WikiLeaks in France. The judges said this week they couldn’t decide on the highly technical case right away.

WikiLeaks evoked the ire of the U.S. government last spring when it posted a gritty war video taken by Army helicopters showing troops gunning down two unarmed Reuters journalists. Since then, the organization has leaked some 400,000 classified U.S. war files from Iraq and 76,000 from Afghanistan that U.S. military officials say included names of U.S. informants and other information that could put people’s lives at risk.

The latest leaks have involved private U.S. diplomatic cables that included frank U.S. assessments of foreign nations and their leaders.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2010…z17Xiqa4c4

One Response to ““Operation Payback” attacks Mastercards and Censorship”

  1. Andrea B Says:

    This case is going to end up in the European Court of Human Rights, no matter what way it goes.

    The Swedish prosecutor has every spotty teenage kid with an angst, looking for dirt on her. They are also looking for dirt on Sofia Wilen and Anna Ardin.

    Sweden is going to come out of this badly, no matter the outcome.

    An interesting thing about this is the European Court of Human Rights. The warrant for the arrest of Assange has been done in such a blatantly illegal manner that the European Court of Human Rights would have to rule unaminously in his favour on all counts, which will show the anti-European institutions conspiracy theorists and anti-EU hate mongers for what they are, in the eyes of the world.

    This could eventually be a win-win for us all, due to Swedish, UK and US stupidity.

    One thing I have learned growing up in Northern Ireland is this. Never put down to conspiracy what can be explained by short sightedness, ignorance, malcontented thinking, malice, blinkered thought process’s, inability to take into account consequences in advance and pure stupidity. That alone accounted for about 99% of all events and occurances in Northern Ireland.

    This case is looking more and more like the idiotic, being led by morons, after taking orders from imbeciles.


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: